I ran across this nifty Kickstarter project from some of the Demolish Twitteri recently. For those of you who are not familiar with the Kickstarter website; basically it’s a new way to fund creative projects and arguably one of the most innovative platforms to emerge for the creative community.
Every week, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, art etc.
About this project
Satan is Alive: A Tribute to Mercyful Fate is a proposed 5.5×7″ 152-page, black & white (2-color cover) book featuring comics, prose and illustration inspired by the music of Mercyful Fate. They’ve assembled an impressive lineup of underground artists/writers including:
- Tom Neely (Henry & Glenn Forever/The Wolf/Popeye/The Blot)
- J. Bennett (Decibel/Terrorizer/Revolver Magazine/Ides of Gemini)
- Bruno Guerreiro (Decibel Magazine)
- Kim Holm (Pickman’s Model/ Hole in the Sky 2010 Memories)
- Chuck BB (Black Metal Part 1 & 2)
- Tim Sievert (That Salty Air/Clandestinauts)
- J.T. Dockery (In Tongues Illustrated)
- Ed Luce (Wuvable Oaf/ Henry & Glenn Forever and Ever)
- Kevin Cross (Barbarian Riot Squad/ Pitch Black/ Nerve Agents)
- Johnny Ryan (Prison Pit)
- Stephanie Buscema (The Little Tales of Otto & Olive/ Web of Spider-Man)
- Sara Turner (Ghosts of Pineville)
- Nick Green (Decibel Magazine)
- Roger Langridge (Popeye/ The Muppet Show/ Fred the Clown/ Snarked!)
- Tim Shagrat (Acid Witch)
- Ben Marra (Lincoln Washington: Free Man!/Henry & Glenn Forever and Ever)
- Vasilis Lolos (The Pirates of Coney Island/Spider-Man Family)
- Mark Rudolph (Dagon/ Metal Hammer/ Decibel/ Tombs of the Blind Date)
As of June 2012, I have about 85% of the content from contributors and have found a printer that can do exactly what I’m looking for. What I’m looking for here is funding to print the book. I have done print-on-demand in the past, but I want this book to look as great as it possibly can, so Satan is Alive will be done offset, with perfect binding.
The money raised here will go toward: paying the printer, shipping supplies/cost, and compensating contributors. This is a passion project, so I’m not making a payday here, just trying to get the best quality book printed as soon as possible. Thanks so much for your support!
Only 25 Days to go to support this project
I couldn’t agree with you more on the valuable status of Kickstarter for underground and rising artists. This looks like/sounds like a fabulous book here, conceptualized by Mark Rudolph!
Long Live Kind Diamond & Mercyful Fate… & Kickstarter too. \m/\m/