It’s hard to believe that something like this can happen to a veteran band like SLAYER. But here it is nonetheless!
So here’s a big F**K YOU to the manager or management team that drafted this [lopsided] touring contract and the weasel entertainment attorney(s) that allowed this to be signed by the band in the first place. Of course I am purely speculating here – based upon what you are about to read, so if it was all legit and or a big cover up to screw over Mr. Lombardo (sic) then lets move the barrel over and set the sights on the remaining three band members.
SLAYER is only SLAYER, when all four original band members are together and firing on all cylinders. SLAYER without Dave Lombardo is a pale imitation. To say that Dave’s stellar groove, sound and power are key integral parts of this power puzzle would be an understatement. I thought they had figured that out the hard way over the decades, but I guess not. It’s really a shame that bad business decisions continue to haunt such insanely talented/legendary bands as SLAYER.
Statement From Dave Lombardo
Regarding Slayer Australian Tour 2013
“I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.
So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.
Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split among the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.
I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year’s sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.
Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.
I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members. I look forward to seeing you in the future.”
*At press time Slayer confirmed that Jon Dette will drum for the band on its Australian tour.